The United States immigration system can be quite complicated, especially if you are unfamiliar with the U.S. legal system. Unfamiliarity can result in costly mistakes and preventable pitfalls that could jeopardize your ability to remain in the United States or become a U.S. citizen. This is why it makes sense to speak to an experienced immigration lawyer in San Diego. Having a knowledgeable counselor by your side can help when it comes to working towards achieving your goal, whether it be to permanently reside in the U.S., obtain citizenship, secure an immigrant visa, etc.
Understanding Immigration Law
As mentioned, U.S. immigration law is an inherently complex and difficult area of law to navigate. It is not something many people can handle alone, as everything from green card renewal to bond hearings in San Diego requires in-depth knowledge of state and federal rules, regulations, and proceedings.
While the majority of immigration laws come directly from the federal government, states do have some control over certain immigration procedures, such as U-visas, VAWAs,asylum, and Special Immigrant Juvenile Visas.. Therefore, you should strongly consider retaining the services of an immigration lawyer in San Diego.
The Role of an Immigration Lawyer
There are many reasons why you should retain an immigration lawyer. One of the most significant reasons is the positive role they can play in helping you either avoid deportation or achieve an immigration goal, such as applying for a family-based green card or marriage-based green card. Typically, the role of an immigration lawyer in San Diego includes:
- Providing legal advice and guidance
- Assisting with visa applications and documentation
- Exploring immigration pathways for various purposes
- Representing clients in court proceedings, if necessary
Why San Diego Requires Special Attention
Retaining the services of an immigration lawyer based in San Diego is particularly important considering the unique immigration challenges (and opportunities) within the region. For example, the proximity of San Diego to the U.S.-Mexico border likely means an immigration lawyer based in the San Diego area will be well-versed in navigating both state and federal immigration rules, regulations, and proceedings.
Services Offered by Immigration Lawyers
An effective immigration lawyer in San Diego should be able to assist you in addressing issues such as applying for asylum, submitting a Visa application, answering questions and guiding you through the naturalization process, etc. Bueno Law is composed of immigration lawyers with a deep knowledge and experience addressing the immigration matters described below.
- Asylum Law: In most instances, an immigrant seeks asylum after running away from their country of origin because of past persecution. They are looking for refuge and safety within the United States. Bueno Law routinely represents clients in immigration court as well as before the Asylum Office when applying for asylum.
- T-Visa: A T-visa is a form of temporary immigration relief generally issued to noncitizens who are currently, or have been, subjected to human trafficking or attempted trafficking. The T visa offers a pathway to permanent residency and citizenship in the United States, and can help victims of labor abuse and domestic violence, as well as those who have been smuggled into the country by coyotes.
- Naturalization & Citizenship: If you are eligible, naturalization can afford a pathway to obtaining US citizenship. Bueno Law can assess your situation to determine if you qualify and, if you meet the prerequisites, help guide you through the naturalization process.
- Family Based Green Card: A family-based green card is an immigrant visa that enables an applicant to join close relatives currently residing in the United States. The term “close relatives” includes your spouse, children, parents, or siblings. Bueno Law can help you in completing the necessary paperwork to secure a family-based green card so you can join your loved ones in the United States.
- Marriage-based Green Card: Typically, a marriage-based green card is available to spouses of U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Though, to qualify for a marriage-based green card, there are specific prerequisites that must be met. This is where Bueno Law can help. We can assess your situation to determine if you qualify and, if so, aid in completing the necessary application materials to ultimately secure your green card.
- VAWA: VAWA offers permanent residency to immigrants who are in cruel or abusive relationships with Green Card holders or U.S. citizens. It also applies to parents of U.S. citizen adult children who are treating their parents with cruelty.
- U visa: This visa helps those who have been victims of a qualifying crime in the United States, and have helped law enforcement with the investigation. The U-visa provides a comprehensive waiver of inadmissibility, and allows clients to petition for some family members. An approved U visa can give way to permanent residency.
- Special Immigrant Juvenile Visa– this SIJS visa is available to children under 21 years of age who are in California, and have suffered abuse, neglect, or abandonment by either parent. A child who is granted this visa can later apply for a Green Card.
Have Questions? Speak to an Immigration Lawyer in San Diego Today
If you are in need of a skilled and knowledgeable immigration lawyer in San Diego, contact Bueno Law today. Our law firm is composed of immigrants working on behalf of immigrants. Our team of immigration attorneys and staff members are passionate about assisting the immigrant community and effectively navigating the complexities of the U.S. immigration system. If you decide to hire Bueno Law, expect to feel like you are part of a family because we treat you like a member of our family. We speak Spanish and Portuguese. Contact us today to schedule a confidential case evaluation. We are here to help.